Oracle’s alert.log chronologically records messages and errors arising from the daily database operation. Also, there are pointers to trace files and dump files.These messages include :
- startups and shutdowns of the instance
- Messages to the operator console
- Errors causing trace files.
- Create, alter and drop SQL statements on databases, tablespaces and rollback segments.
- Errors when a materialized view is refreshed.
- ORA-00600 (internal) errors.
- ORA-01578 errors (block corruption)
- ORA-00060 errors (deadlocks)
alert.log is a text file that can be opened with any text editor. The directory where it is found can be determined by the background_dump_dest initialization parameter:
select value from v$parameter where name = ‘background_dump_dest’;
If the background_dump_dest parameter is not specified, Oracle will write the alert.log into the $ORACLE_HOME/RDBMS/trace directory.